[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Ger-Poland-Volhynia Digest, Vol 19, Issue 4

rbbtfarm rbbtfarm at wavecable.com
Sat Dec 4 15:05:51 PST 2004

Hi All,

Howard, is this the type of thing you are talking about?  I heard something
on History, Discovery, one of those channels. The show describe wide spread
over population in German villages causing unemployment, poverty, and near
famine. By various means, including lotteries, neuclear familys were
selected to voluntarily emigrate to US. They were given some money, new
clothes, etc. to make a new start. Think this was around 1850-1890. Their
farms, belongings, anything they could not take with them were turned over
to family left behind or the towns people. Seems I recall that something
like 40% of the villages often left. I wonder if any one knows about this
and when it happend.

Of my German lines, BARZ (BARTZ), and BECKER, they were in Poland when my
Grt-grndfa was baptised. Now I wonder if this may be how they got there.
Also have a conflict about the location of my original SELINGER or SELLINGER
line. Supposedly they were from southern Germany. All my German ancestors
emigrated and settled about 10 years apart, 1870 and 1880, in Joliet, Will
Co. IL. They were part of the same Luthern Church.

A BARZ "cousin" is carrying on the sesarch, since he speaks some German. I
am just trying to find leads for him. Where and how can these "lists" of
emigrants to Poland be found ? Does anything similar to them exist for the
ones who went to the US ?

Best Regards and thanks in advance,
Tricia M.