[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Life in Volhynia-Traditional Folk Songs

LeoAnn annaleo at nanaimo.ark.com
Mon Dec 6 15:56:31 PST 2004

There have been a number of discussions over the past year covering
various aspects of our ancestors' life in the old country. They have
covered the topics of food, occupations, sayings, games, customs,naming
traditions, etc. The responses from list members have been interesting,
informative and  educational and all have brought back memories from my
younger years.  One topic that hasn't been discussed is that of
traditional folk songs. The Lutheran Church of old was referred to as
the singing church.  No doubt this came about because members had a
love for singing in their everyday lives and carried it into their
worship activities.  I don't know if there are any folk songs that are
unique to the Germans in Poland/Vohynia/Russia but I recall from my
youth that at house parties and other social gatherings that inevitably
singing would break out and carry on for some time. I can remember bits
and pieces of several songs and would like to have the complete lyrics.
Does anyone know if there is a source for German folk songs. Has anyone
compiled a collection of these songs?

I would like to find the lyrics for a few songs that I remember - Schon
ist Die Jugend; Du, Du, Liegt Mir in Herzen; Ach Du Lieber Augustine;
Trink, Trink, Bruderllein Trink.

Leo Sonnenberg