[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Life in Volhynia-Traditional Folk Songs

richard benert benovich at imt.net
Mon Dec 6 21:09:49 PST 2004

Leo and any others who may be interested,

Your question about whether there were any folk songs unique to Germans in
Poland and Volhynia can definitely be answered, "yes".  I acquired, a few
years ago, a book of such songs published in 1935 by the German
ethnographer, Kurt L|ck (who happens also to have become an ardent Nazi) and
Robert Klatt, "Singendes Volk.  Volkslieder aus Kongresspolen und
Wolhynien".  In it, there are about 88 songs with text and music.  I'm not
sure it would be worthwhile to list the titles of all of them, but if a few
people are really curious, I could be persuaded.  I'd also be happy to see
if any songs anyone remembers are in it.

The person who probably knows more about GR folksongs than anyone, of
course, is Tim Kloberdanz.  I know basically nothing about them.  I just
have this book!

Dick Benert