[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Life in Volhynia-Traditional Folk Songs

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Tue Dec 7 10:43:04 PST 2004

Dear SGGEE readers - It would be nice if some of you who have memories of
hearing or knowing about some of the traditional folk songs that were sung by our
ancestors in Volhynia  would share what you know on this listserv.  These
kinds of "stories" would be interesting to add to our collection of stories from
over there.  Surely your parents/grandparents may have continued to sing them
when they immigrated to North America.

For one thing I wish my husband and I would have known some of these songs as
we know that his parents, Fred and Julia (Bergstraesser) Less were a part of
a German choir in the early 1930's in Nebraska.  We have a picture of this
group that met in the homes of the Volhynian immigrants.  But Gary was just a wee
one at the time and he had said he really never paid much attention to what
his parents did at that age!
Now that many in the Less family are gone it is a shame that there is no
knowledge in the family of the music the immigrant parents may have enjoyed in
those years.

Sharing what others know though would be helpful to all of us that may be
interested who have this particular ethnic history.  Write out the German (with
English translation if possible) and share it here.  If you have a story of how
and when it was sung add that too!

Sincerely,
Virginia Less (Who tries to collect stories of our heritage for SGGEE
publication.  Bill Fife, our SGGEE Journal editor, would love these, I know)