[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Volhynian songs and stories... D:)

Donna Baxmeyer torhaus at telus.net
Tue Dec 7 12:03:41 PST 2004

Dear Jerry and listers;
    I'm thrilled to see Virginia has responded to the message of Volhynian
Songs and stories as I was about to do!  I think this would be an awesome idea
if others on the list are not against the band width use.  If we aren't able
to capture these priceless words now, how will future generations keep the
traditions?  These would be a great asset to all interested in the history of
Germans from Russia in Poland and Volhynia.
Thanks Virginia, Bill Fife has helped several of my family members too!
Respectfully submitted,
Donna Baxmeyer
torhaus at telus.net

Virgina Less wrote:
"Dear SGGEE readers - It would be nice if some of you who have memories of
hearing or knowing about some of the traditional folk songs that were sung by
our
ancestors in Volhynia  would share what you know on this listserv.  These
kinds of "stories" would be interesting to add to our collection of stories
from
over there.  Surely your parents/grandparents may have continued to sing them
when they immigrated to North America.
(Pre-empt)
Sharing what others know though would be helpful to all of us that may be
interested who have this particular ethnic history.  Write out the German
(with
English translation if possible) and share it here.  If you have a story of
how
and when it was sung add that too!

Sincerely,
Virginia Less (Who tries to collect stories of our heritage for SGGEE
publication.  Bill Fife, our SGGEE Journal editor, would love these, I know)"