[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Life in Volhynia-Traditional Folk Songs

LMPauling lmpauling at utech.net
Tue Dec 7 17:13:09 PST 2004

> Dear SGGEE readers - It would be nice if some of you who have memories of
> hearing or knowing about some of the traditional folk songs that were sung
> by our
> ancestors in Volhynia  would share what you know on this listserv.

This is a hymn rather than a folk song, but I thought you might like to know
it. I was told by a woman from Dobriner Land in Poland that this was sung
for funerals as the people walked to the cemetery carrying the body. She
said, "All the beautiful hymns... I can sing them today." and then she began
to sing:

Paradies, Paradies,
wie ist deine frucht so s|ss!
Unter deinen Lebensbdumen
wird uns sein, als ob wir trdumen:
bring uns, Herr, ins Paradies!

Someone on the list will do a better job of translating this than I am able
to do.
Linda Pauling