[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Evangelical Lutheran church records andEllis Island

Rose Ingram roseingram at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 13 23:29:00 PST 2004

Janine,

I found Amalia Majsner arriving in July 1913 with Zofia Duwe coming from
Cheradof, Russia.  Are these the two 'friends' you are referring to?  It is
Possible the ditto marks for Amalie were a mistake, or she kept quiet about
being German.

Majsner (and other spelling variations) is not an uncommon Jewish name.
Keep this in mind in case the story of them being Lutherans in Poland does
not pan out.

What Evangelical documents do you have - were they issued in Poland or the
USA?  If you only have USA Lutheran documentation perhaps she 'converted' to
Lutheran when she married?

Do you have the name of Amalia's grandparents, parents and brothers?

There do not appear to be any Lutheran records (or church) in Zyrardow - if
you feel Cheradof is the same place.  The Polish State Archives only have a
few Jewish and Baptist records, which are not micorfilmed.

Rose Ingram

>Janince wrote

> My grandmother Amalia Meissner lived in Zyrardow, Mazowieckie with her
> parents and grandparents who were from that same town.  She immigrated to
the U.S.
> in 1913 coming through Ellis Island.  I have documents, some from the
> Evangelishe church that lead me to believe they were of that religion.
Her parents and
> two brothers were put in a work or concentration camp sometime in the
1940's
> but supposedly escaped. It's not known were though. I was always told that
> they were Germans living in Poland.  What confuses me is in the Ellis
Island
> website  it says my grandmother and her friend( who were both 18) were
listed as
> Hebrew under "religion".   Could this have just been an error because they
> could not speak engish and the name taker just assumed they were jewish.
There
> has always been alot missing from the whole story. The older ones always
denied
> things when I enquired about that time. Now everyone is gone and no one to
> ask. Grandmother followed the Lutheran religion here in the U.S.
Wondering what