[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "Squareheads"... D:)

Donna Baxmeyer torhaus at telus.net
Thu Dec 16 13:32:02 PST 2004

Hello Lloyd and listers,
Logging onto www.AskJeeves.com gave this result for Lloyd's question of why
people call us "Square Heads"

      "Squarehead: Germans, Swedes & Norwegians Shape of head, late
19th/early 20th century American word."

This is not an in-depth definition, but my German born and raised husband
explained this term to me many decades ago.  It is probably why I married
him, they have a very unique sense of life.  He said: "This is a slang term
developed hundreds of decades ago.  It came from families who were extremely
poor and little to no room for all their children to sleep at night.  The
mothers would stand the children in a corner, and regularly rotate them 90
degrees for comfort.  Soon, the shapes of the children's heads became
evident and was a stigma of poverty; the New World was only too glad to have
a fond name for this situation."  He also stated he should know as it
happened to him before he immigrated to Canada and is a Canadian Citizen!
    Hope this has been of some help Lloyd,
Donna Baxmeyer
President, Edmonton & District Chapter AHSGR-I
torhaus at telus.net