[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "Squareheads"... D:)

Donna Baxmeyer torhaus at telus.net
Thu Dec 16 16:54:35 PST 2004

Well Ed and Listers,
    It appears Ed and I have started something that may make Lloyd's
original question very unique in response.  This just proves we GR
descendants have a great sense of humour; pardon the Royal Monarchy
spelling; and we are able to laugh at ourselves, much unlike other
nationalities!
    Truth be told, I'm more than sure this slang term originated long before
the Americans hung this title on us; it goes back as far as the Vikings and
other Scandinavian people.  Germans were never part of Scandinavia; but
through generations their facial features remained rather strongly square
jawed with prominent cheek bones and eye sockets, giving an appearance of a
square face.  Their distinction in the true sense of terms, most German born
males in the past were fair skinned and fair haired. It was difficult for
many to grow beards due to this fair haired issue.  As they evolved, their
features remained, but the areas they settled in had changed their
appearances to encompass not only the fair haired but often took on more of
Mongolian traits through inter marriages.  If this hypothesis is true, why
on earth did the Germans concoct the bier trinken lied:
    "Mein hut der hat drei ecken, drei ecken hat mein hut;
    Und hdtt Er nicht drei ecken, dann wdr ist nicht mein hut!"
Sounds rather like trying to stick a square plug into a round hole doesn't
it.  Why a 3 cornered hat?
I can surely understand the need for kegs of beer to sing this song!
Donna
torhaus at telus.net

PS... any second now, Jerry is going to write to tell us to knock it off.
We'll be good Jerry!