[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] RUX AND ROKS SURNAME

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 12:54:29 PST 2004

Yes Rux and Roks would be the same name. Remember most Germans did not read or write in those days and transcribers may have had their own issues. You could use the SGGEE database and try to make a determination whether the name should be spelled with a "o" or a "u".

A similar case like what you have here would the name Marks vs Marx. It probably wouldn't strike most people who you were talking about if you were to write out the name Karl Marks.

Michael & Maureen McHenry <maurmike at bellatlantic.net> wrote:
Hi All

Last month Al and Brenda who are doing translation/transcription for
Secymin parish came up with what looks to be my great grandparents. The
marriage record has Johann Mueller to Marianne Rux. Two births to Johann
Mueller and Marianne Roks were found. The time frame and place are both
correct. Can anyone explain to me how RUX and ROKS might be the same
name or the spelling changed? It would appear that they would be
pronounced the same.

Mike