[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Colonies-Volhynia

Jerry Frank franklyspeaking at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 20 06:51:56 PST 2004

There is a list of colonies - the index for my map of German settlements in
Volhynia.  However, there are about 1400 places in that list so to compile
such data for all of them is very difficult.

You will find some of the data pre1862 in an article in the next issue of
the SGGEE Journal, a translation of the Busch report

There are generalizations about the origins of the colonists but few
villages were settled exclusively from any one location so such information
is not detailed.  Once we have the really early Zhitomir records extraction
completed, it would be interesting to use the data to track the origins of
these early settlers to see if it agrees with the generalizations of more
modern historians.  While some such data is available from the St. Pete
records, it is so inconsistent as to make it unreliable for such a study.

I don't think the colonies were organized as church affiliated groups but
certainly most people in a given colony shared a common faith.  The
exception might be the really early Mennonites who did indeed migrate more
as a community of faith rather than as an ethnic community.  I am not sure
if either the Moravian Brethren or Baptist communities were settled as
such.  It is my sense that most of the people in those faiths were converts
from the Lutheran church.  Perhaps someone else has more detail on that.

At 08:12 PM 19/02/2004 -0700, Reubin Nehring wrote:
>             Has there ever been a  compiled listing of all the colonies that
>had
>been established in Volhynia / oblast / province?
>2. Dates when they were established ?
>3. Where did the colonist originate from ?
>4. Was it  church affiliated groups that organized  all these colonies or
>others?
>
>Thanks
>
>    Reubin

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta