[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Konin

Richard A. Stein ra_stein at telus.net
Sat Jan 3 17:28:54 PST 2004

Wilma,

Prior to 1826 when Evangelical Lutheran parishes were authorized to do civil
records, Germans registered their vital events in Catholic parishes.  The
LDS microfilms for Konin Luteran parish begin in 1827, the microfilms for
Konin Catholic parish begin in 1800.  If you are looking for people in a
village in the Konin district, then they probably registered in the nearest
Catholic parish.

I have been researching in the Sompolno area, just to the north of Konin.  I
found Germans in the Catholic parishes starting in the 1780s when they first
settled in the area.  However, I found that they registered many births
before 1800, but very few marriages, and fewer still deaths.  Starting in
1808, all people were required to register their vital events through the
Catholic churches.

Dick Stein