[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Death statistics

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 12:55:07 PST 2004

In my own research I have started looking at some films from St. Petersburg covering Volhynia. Deaths are listed succinctly giving several pieces of information including the age of the deceased. It seems we all know that conditions were harsh for our forefathers and many families suffered the loss of several children. Seeing much of this data collected so nicely on this film I decided to get some real numbers to get a better idea of how different age groups faired under the living conditions then. The data presented below are from counting 102 cases subdivided into different age groups. This data was taken from a 1883 film covering western Volhynia.

====== 6% 5-10 years old

==== 4% 10-20 years old

======================== 24% over 20 years old (most were 40-75 years old)