[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Polin, Powiat Nowograd Wolinsk, Wolynia

Jerry Frank franklyspeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 24 08:21:15 PST 2004

You can get an overview of the relationship between the towns at

http://www.wolhynien.de/images/map.gif

Nowograd Wolinsk = Zwiahel over on the left side of the map

The W in both German and Polish carries a V sound so you can expect to see
interchange of those letters as a common variant in spelling.

 From your first posting on this thread:

Yes, Wiasawitz = Wjasowez = Wjasowitz.

Don't know why there is a duplicate entry for August but it does happen
from time to time.

Kraening is probably a misread of what was written as Kroening.  The
probability is very high the record you found with the exact date but one
year different is that of your great uncle.  It is far more likely that he
was out by a year in giving info for his naturalization record than to find
someone with the identical name born on the identical date one year earlier
- at least where there are few other people with that surname in a given
region.  However, that is still not proof.  It is just evaluation of
evidence.

At 09:21 AM 24/01/2004 -0600, gary and rhonda simpson wrote:
>Thank you Dave and John,
>If I may pose another questionto the list on this matter, the location given
>by my great uncle, especially the "Powiat Nowograd Wolinsk, Wolynia", I have
>found "Powiat" in my Polish research, and Wolynia is a new spelling for me
>for Volhynia.  Are they more Polish in origin? And is Nowograd Wolinsk in
>and around Pulin, Blumenthal and Wjasowitz?
>I feel like I have exhausted my research tools, (I do not have FHC access)
>regarding their Cdn records, however 2 of Christians daughters born in
>Russia did end up in the US and are listed on the SSDI.  Does the US
>restrict this information to American residents like Canada does regarding
>our Access to Information?
>Thank you again for the information from my original request.
>Rhonda

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca