[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polin, Powiat Nowograd Wolinsk, Wolynia

Dave Obee daveobee at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 24 10:03:41 PST 2004

Nowograd-Wolynsk is the large community to the west of your three villages
of interest. All are in the Zhitomir oblast.

I have been to Wjasowitz, Pulin and Blumental twice. A photo of the church
in Wjasowitz is on my web site:

http://www.genealogyunlimited.com/daveobee/wjas.html

When I was there in 1995 it was empty; we found someone with a key so we
were able to look around a bit. When I was there in 2002 it was being used
as a bar and store.

I have photos of Blumental as well, but they are not online. Both Blumental
and Wjasowitz are generally flat and quite spread out, so it's tough to get
a good photo that shows the entire community. (Pulin is quite compact, in
comparison.)

In all three villages, little is left of the German cemeteries. Blumental
has a couple of headstones, as does Pulin, but I could find nothing in the
one in Wjasowitz.

You'll also find references to all three villages here:

http://www.genealogyunlimited.com/daveobee/volhynia.html

I will be in the area again in April, but at this point I have no plans to
see those villages again. There are others to see!

Regarding US records, there are many that should be of help to you. Start
with passenger lists -- depending on the time frame, these may include
contact names for people back home -- as well as naturalization documents.
There are fewer privacy restrictions in the US, so whenever you find an
American cousin, get everything possible. Most of my Volhynian family
history was built using American documents, not Canadian ones.

Dave Obee