[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Fw: [GR-HERITAGE] German lunches in country schools in the early years

Lloyd Friedrick lloydfriedrick at telus.net
Sun Jan 25 15:24:51 PST 2004

I am writing a story for Lee Remmick Web page on Lunch pails in country
schools on the Canadian prairies during the late thirties and early forties.

So far I have described the favourite pails that were used such as Swifts
Silverleaf lard pails, Rogers Golden Honey and Squirrel Peanut Butter pails.

Our school in rural Saskatchewan was equally divided with English and German
students so I have decided to write about our lunch pail contents and how they
differed. For example, us Germans ate "good", heavy with home made sausage or
ham with thick bread. The English tended to use "store bought" bread with
lighter ingredients. One day, my older brother insulted an English pupil by
calling his cucumber sandwich "sissy food" and World War 11 came to
Saskatchewan school yard!. It is also worthwhile to point out that in our
school at this time many of our  games and competition were  "Germans against
the English"

Mother made some sandwiches that were sort of a ground up fried liver and
bacon bits [homemade bits that is] but my family cannot remember the exact
recipe.
We also had good stuff like summer sausage that Dad and Mum made. Now why did
they call it summer sausage ?

Would other listserve subscribers tell me some of the typical German
sandwiches and lunch pail things that their parents made for them. I would
like to make up a composite list. I checked on the Internet but our kind of
lunches were not generally included.

lloyd friedrick in Victoria British Columbia