[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Fw: [GR-HERITAGE] German lunches in country schools in the early years

Delores Stevens deloresstevens at sasktel.net
Mon Jan 26 12:33:03 PST 2004

I spoke with my parents who are of the generation that took the Rogers
Golden Syrup tins as lunch tins.  My mother came from a German family and
lived in a German community.  She said that she took syrup sandwiches and
the odd time peanut butter.  She doesn't remember having meat sandwiches.
My father on the other hand lived in an English community and his mother was
Dutch.  He took his lunch in a brown paper bag, as he rode horse back to
school.  Too difficult to carry a syrup tin on the horse.  Dad said his
lunch consisted of chicken or beef sandwiches.  He hated the summer as flies
could get in his paper bag.  At least the syrup tins kept out the flies.
(LOL)

Delores