[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: German lunches in country schools in the early years

jfrauchert at shaw.ca jfrauchert at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 28 14:23:02 PST 2004

 My English Mother (confirmed by My German Father) told me that there was a real stigma applied to students that were "too poor to afford White Bread" and had to take brown bread sandwiches to school in rural Alberta.

I think that her family also would forego other essentials in order that they would avoid that shame (even though they were quite poor themselves).

Now of course, I seek out whole grains in order to live a healthier life (my 99 year old Father knew it all along).

John F. Rauchert