[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] More on Labour Camp Death Records

Jerry Frank GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
Fri Jul 2 08:04:33 PDT 2004

Due to some system problems, the following continuations of this thread did
not make it through to the full list.  I am therefore posting now because
it contains info of importance to all.
I recommend you read it all as there is the original question at the
bottom, a response, and then another response.  This type of problem occurs
when too many cc addresses appear in a response.

From: "Michael & Maureen McHenry" <maurmike at bellatlantic.net>

I don't how many of you are aware but you can word search the New York
Times and the London Times. The data includes every newspaper ever printed.
You can also limit the search to dates. The NY Times limits free search to
the abstract and charged for the full text. Major libraries have full
access to the full text NY Times  for patrons,but not remote. The London
Times is having a free trial. Click on this link and type in trial lowercase.

  http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/free4_tda The reason I bring this up
is I tried some searches in the London Times. I limited the date to 1915
using key words such as Germans, Poland, deportations, etc. I didn't come
up with anything on our subject. However one article, dated December 30,
1914, has the Germany army threatening Warsaw. They are on
the Bzura River near Sochaczew. Certainly the Germans in the villages here
would have been deported earlier then 1915.

Mike

-----------------------------------
From: Karl Krueger [mailto:dabookk54 at yahoo.com]

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be much written about the 1915
deportations. Dick Benert has been digging up what ever he can find on the
subject. Most of what can be learned comes from first hand accounts told by
people who were deported. The amazing story Mr. Milner linked to gives a
short glimpse into what transpired. Germans in eastern Poland
were also deported. The death toll was astounding, particularly on the
older generation.

I do know that the Germans in eastern Poland were transported eastward
starting from around the border of Ukraine and Belarus in a southeasterly
direction to destinations like Kharkiv, Samara, Saratov, Orenburg, Troitsk,
Qostanay (Kustanai), Aqtobe (Akhtubinsk), and even as far as Samarqand and
Tashkent. Be sure to look up these locations on a map to get the full
impact of how far Germans were moved. My grandmother and mother survived
this ordeal for 7 years going as far as Samarqand, while my paternal side
had it relatively easy and stayed in Kharkiv (Charkow) for only 3 years.

Michael & Maureen McHenry <maurmike at bellatlantic.net> wrote:

Is there a written history of the 1915 deportations? I have read a few
WWI histories and do not recall reading anything about it.

Mike

Jerry Frank - List Administrator for [Ger-Poland-Volhynia]
GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
http://www.sggee.org/listserv.html