[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: 1915 Deportation

Nelson Itterman colnels at telus.net
Tue Jul 6 18:28:38 PDT 2004

Hello Virginia:
The use of the word deportation with the year 1915, is being used
incorrectly. "The Expropriation of Land from the Germans in Volhynia is
taken from an article published in the "Volhyn's Gubernia News published on
June 2, 1916.  It refers to "A List of Expropriated Real Estate Taken From
Resettled German Colonists, According to War Office Directives and Now under
the Ministry of Land Jurisdiction in the Chelm/Volhyn District". This
article identifies those effected by the enactment on February 2, 2925 of a
Russian Law providing for the liquidation of land ownership and land tenure
of Russian subjects of Austrian, Hungarian or German descent in the boundary
zones. The law took effect on July 15th 1915.  It is a land expropriation
listing, not a deportation listing. The boundary zones included the whole of
Poland and a strip approximately 90 miles wide along the whole of the
western border of Russia.
I would assusme that depending on where you lived, people were being
deported because they resided in areas that were close to the areas that
would be effected by the invasion of the german army in the war that was
threatening. Presumably as early as 1913.
Although these ethnic germans were Russian Citizens
they were a threat to the security of Russia, and therefore were being moved
away from the border areas.

Nelson Itterman