[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Roll Call: Stankevitz family in Suwalki

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 7 09:06:01 PDT 2004

The area was under Russian control at the time, part of Russian
Poland.  However, East Prussia was not far away to the west.

Keep in mind that reference to Suwalki might refer to the district rather
than just the town.  If you don't find them in the town, broaden your
search to other churches in the area.

At 11:41 PM 06/07/2004 -0500, Stephen H Karlson wrote:
>Good evening all,
>
>The Hamburg departure lists place my second-great-grand-uncle Adam
>Stankevitz in Suwalki before he emigrated, in October of 1890, to the USA.
>This Suwalki is now in Poland, near the Masurian Lakes.
>
>Two questions:
>
>1.  Was this area under Prussian administration in 1890?
>
>2.  Were there any civil records for this community at that time?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Stephen Hopkins Karlson
>current GPV researches: Stankevitz, Samsell, Kalbes

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca