[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] 1915 deportations

E Sonnenburg esonnenburg at porchlight.ca
Wed Jul 7 16:27:45 PDT 2004

I could write more, but then I wouldn't have to send you my grandmother's
book.  Hahaha      Her account is quite detailed of how people were forced
from Karlswalde Volhynia in 1915.  Edmund Krebs's book has similar
details except from Amelin/Kolowert.

To encourage people to get a move on during the summer of 1915 some of the
men and boys were taken away until the villagers were on their way when they
were allowed to return to their families.
Some were allowed to stay a few weeks longer to take in the harvest.
Usually
a policeman was at the front of all the wagons and everyone followed.
After 2 weeks they got to the train station and had to leave everything
behind they couldn't carry.  Sometimes they got a bit if they sold their
wagons etc.

Ed