[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Deportations

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Fri Jul 9 11:26:37 PDT 2004

Hi, Delores - I think I can provide you with some quick answers but I will
hope some on this list who are the "experts" will say something.  My husband and
I by 2001 completed and published a family book so did some research in the
question that  you asked - was there something going on in Volhynia prior to
1915, etc.?   Yes, if you check Russian history stuff.  For one thing, all the
privileges that Catherine the Great gave to the German-speaking people many
years before such as freedom from military, freedom of language, etc. etc. was
revoked by later Czars.  Russian had to be taught in schools and used in
churches.  Men of military age were unwilling to go into the military.  Those that
did came back with stories of hardship, persecution because they were German,
etc.  My husband's uncle left Volhynia in 1903 (who came home on leave from the
military & decided to take his wife and new baby and leave Volhynia thru an
"underground" escape plan", and his brother (my husband's father) who was 18 in
1904 came to the States then (probably leaving the same way in a pre-arranged
"escape plan".  My husband's grandfather on his mother's side left Volhynia as
early as 1893 because the grandfather's wife's brother who was a medic in the
Russian army came home in 1890 and said that they should leave as it didn't
look good for anyone of German heritage.  So personally we have these stories.
But history material is available telling us of  this change as well in
attitudes toward our people.  A number of Volhynians left for South America as well
as North America in the 1890's.  My mother's parents who were from the Volga
region came to the States even earlier than that, in 1887 to the Midwest.  (I
can qualify as a descendant of a Nebraska pioneer even!  My grandmother had 4
brothers of draft age and no doubt their parents just decided it was time to
leave on their own before being forced out which happened many years later in
WWII time where Siberian exile was the norm).     The revoking of the
privileges was the red flag for many.  And, of course, the economic situation was a
major concern.   I am sure many who were in the Black Sea areas also began to
question what was developing and began to leave as well.  Especially with the
Mennonites being pacifists.  By time of WWI of course, it was evident - that all
German-speaking people were not to be trusted, said the Russians,  so those in
Volhynia and some in Black Sea areas close to borders where the German army
would be were "deported" (forced to leave).  It became worse then by the late
1930's of course when WWII came about.

Just a short summary above but wanted to respond.  I am excited about the
providing some insight on what they know about the situation in Volhynia, and of
course, some of the concern about German-speaking people was quite evident in the
Russian-Poland areas as well.  I think we are just beginning to hear these
stories since more has always been said about the persecutions of the Germans in
Russia around the WWII period but never much of those in Volhynia.  All of
you, keep sharing what you know.

Sincerely,
Virginia