[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Request for advice

Richard A. Stein ra_stein at telus.net
Mon Jul 12 21:29:36 PDT 2004

Lorne,

Several good and inexpensive methods have been recommended for sending money
to Europe.  However, as someone has already pointed out, the Polish archives
give only one option.  That is to send the funds by electronic transfer
which, unfortunately is quite expensive.  The rates vary among financial
institutions, so do shop around.

When I first obtained documents from the Polish archives, they accepted a
World Money Order sent by postal mail directly to their bank for deposit to
their account.  A money order is quite inexpensive.  When they first changed
to electronic transfer of money, I tried to sent a money order instead.
However, it was returned and I had no recourse except to use electronic
transfer.

For other purposes, I have used Western Union and found it quite
satisfactory.  There is a significant fee, but not as high as electronic
transfer.

Dick Stein