[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Expropriation list from the 1916 Zhitomir newspaper

Dave Obee daveobee at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 14 20:54:14 PDT 2004

Irene has a bunch of villages on her site, as noted already, and I have a
bunch on mine:

http://www.genealogyunlimited.com/daveobee/volhynia.html

We overlap on a few, such as Solodyri and Florowka.

These lists were based on the newspaper's publication of names of Germans
whose property was expropriated. The newspaper carried a variety of short
lists in virtually every issue for six months or so, then published one
monster list that brought everything together. That monster list was the
source for my extractions, and I believe it was the source for Irene's as
well. I have gone through many of the earlier lists, checking for
differences, but I have yet to find a name that did not also appear in the
monster list.

Please note that the entire large list has been transliterated by Brent Mai
for the AHSGR, and published in book form. It is available through the
AHSGR. (I did the translations that are on my web site in 1995, based on the
original lists. In some cases, Brent and I read things differently.)

After the massive list was published, a few subsequent issues of the
newspaper included more information on some of the expropriations, including
in some cases fairly lengthy information about people and their holdings.
These additional people were primarily from the village of Blumental, just
west of Pulin.

I have used the bound volume of these newspapers that is at the archives in
Zhitomir.

It should be noted that several different newspapers published in that area
are now in the archives, and I have used them to extract information about
the formation of the collective farms in my villages of interest. Together
they represent a source that has not, I suspect, been tapped as much as it
could have been. (But then, I've been a fan of newspapers since way back!)

Dave Obee