[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Nationality

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Thu Jul 29 11:25:50 PDT 2004

I just had to write in response to the question of what our nationality is
etc.  Yes, Jerry, I am "German" when it comes to my cultural background, thanks
to my grandparents speaking the language.  But, I have two different
backgrounds - one that is German-German on my Dad's side and the other set of
grandparents who are Volga Deutsch (out of Russia).  My husband's parents both came
from Volhynia and grandparents from Poland which were under Russian control at
the time of their living there.  So we both have always said German was our
background even tho not knowing the language and not even knowing German foods
that well!   However, I like to really identify my heritage by using the term
"German from Russia" as our background.  (But American by birth, of course.)
Using the G from R term usually causes one who asked the question of me to stop
and wonder.  This then is a good opportunity to explain.  That is important to
do so, don't you think?  So many people are surprised by such an answer and
begin to ask questions.  What a time to then "tell our story"!!   We shouldn't
miss the chance to honor our heritage.  The GR story is so unknown today.

So I am an American, also German through and through, but mostly through my
German from Russian ancestors.

Virginia Less

P.S.  Next week's convention is almost here.  Have some of you prepared some
pictures for display of your ancestors and their life "over there", or stories
of what their life was all about?  I will be awaiting your contribution in
the Research Room to add to the collection SGGEE is accumulating.  See you then.