[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Meyers Orts-und Verkehrs-Lexikon Des Deutschen Reichs

DAVID B OBEE daveobee at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 10 11:49:42 PDT 2004

Their usefulness depends on where a person's research takes them, and many of us with Volhynian roots get back Germany eventually, or at least hope that we do.

The Meyers books only cover the German empire. If you want a sense of what they include, the 1912 edition is on microfiche at virtually every Family History Library branch.

It should be noted that Meyers wasn't the only gazetteer; the one published by Henius is also excellent. And there were several different editions of Meyers over the years, which help to track down name changes, and there were many of those.

Dave Obee