[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] 2 Tulowices and the polish borders of 1920

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 15 08:37:53 PDT 2004

At 10:07 AM 15/06/2004 -0400, Michael & Maureen McHenry wrote:
>I have been working my way through the parish records of Wysograd, Ilow
>and Secymin looking for evidence of my grandfather. This is based on the
>spelling of the town on his ships manifest. It was spelled Tolowice. I
>deduced this meant Tulowice, since the polish U is an OO sound. This was
>after some discussion with Jerry. My grandparents had a close friend or
>relative from Kromnow so further concluded it was Tulowice near Warsaw.
>Yesterday I searched for Tulowice in Encarta and came up with a second
>Tulowice SW of Opole. Was this inside the Russian Poland border pre WWI?
>If so were there any German villages near this one? I can't tell from
>the maps I looked at.

No - the Opole region was part of Silesia.

>Also can anyone tell me how far the Polish borders extended into the
>Ukraine in 1920? Did it include the Ukrainian province of Rivnenska? The
>reason for this question is my aunt claimed to have been born in
>Jalowice. Her mother went back to Russian Poland to have her. Some have
>suggested that this Jelowica in the Ukraine. The US census required that
>you give your birth place as defined by the borders of 1920. The
>response of for the family was Poland.

There appears to be historical dispute over when the the Rivenska / Rowno
region officially became part of Poland.  I have always attributed it to
the Treaty of Versailles in 1920 which fits your requirement.  However,
some use the 1921 Treaty of Riga as the defining date.  There was
significant back and forth control over this region between 1917 and
1921.  This historical account
http://www.users.bigpond.com/kyroks/ukrhist7.html references the 1920
Treaty of Warsaw as the date when western Volhynia became part of Poland
but also refers to ongoing fighting which meant that the situation was not
stabilized until the Treaty of Riga a year later.

Regardless of which treaty it was, I believe that the world at large
accepted the border as established in 1920.

While the evidence seems to suggest Jelowica in Volhynia, keep in mind that
there are also 3 Jalowiec in modern Poland.  However, none of them would
have been in Russian Poland regions.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca