[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Labour Camp Death Records

Richard Benert benovich at montanadsl.net
Sun Jun 27 20:48:30 PDT 2004

Janice,

If a member of the family was still  there in 1914, then the family's
disappearance is most likely due to the Deportation of 1915, when the Russian
army cleared nearly all the German colonists out of the war zone--Volhynia (and
Poland and elsewhere).  After 1917, most of the families returned to Volhynia
(or kept going to Germany).  Few of them returned intact.  Most had lost family
members to epidemics and accidents en route or while living in exile.  And yes,
a few families may well have died out entirely, or were in such a devastated
condition in 1918 that return was impossible.  This may be the case with your
family.  If only we had records of where individual families were sent or
settled.

But do not confuse this Deportation with the Labor Camps of the Soviet period.
These people were not sent to labor camps.  Many of them had to live in
barracks, old factories, old schools, and whatnot, but there was no forced labor
involved.  They had to find work to live well at all (some got a pittance of
government support), but they had to find work on their own.

SINCE this subject has been now brought up, may I invite all who are interested
to be sure to attend the 3 PM session of the SGGEE Convention in Calgary, August
7, where I will be holding forth on this very subject.  I hope people will come
with stories of their own families' experiences during W. W. I.

If I may add a bit to what Jerry said about "rehabilitation", and while I fully
agree that rehabilitating a victim of Stalin's system is very much
"perfunctory", since he or she was long since either shot or starved in a gulag,
the process isn't entirely devoid of meaning.  On one level, it at least
represents an effort, however minimal, of Russian society to come to terms with
its past, and, on a more practical level, there could be, at least some years
ago, some legal or financial benefits to the survivors.  This is why people
began seeking rehabilitation for their dead relatives even before glasnost.
Actually, it goes back to the Krushchev era, although as long as the KGB was in
control, few people really found out the total truth.  Once again, let me say
that Don Miller's book will be very interesting on this subject.

Dick Benert