[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Labour Camp Death Records

JSchu9014 at aol.com JSchu9014 at aol.com
Tue Jun 29 19:10:04 PDT 2004

Dick,

Thank you so much for giving me a better picture of the times in which my
great grandfather Christian Haupt and his family may have experienced.

I mentioned the letters about Memelland in the mid to late 20s only because
there was a story in the family that Christian and his family, decided not to
return to Volhynia, and I am only assuming that they were among those forced to
leave in 1915, but instead may have eventually gotten to the area known as
Memelland.  That was the reason for the question regarding being allowed to
freely go elsewhere after being forced  to leave Volhynia.

No one wishes more than I that those letters still existed.  Unfortunately,
they are only a vague memory of an 84 year old uncle, of envelopes marked
"Memelland."  My grandfather, Edward Haupt, was a very private man and shared very
little of his history with his children or grandchildren.  I think this may
have been the case of many of our ancestors who lived thru those frightening
times.

Again, Dick, thank you so much for your history lesson.

Janice