[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Powiat maps of Russian Poland

Peter Fischer westphalia-ranch at msn.com
Tue Mar 16 06:47:04 PST 2004

Thanks Jerry,
As always your information is very valuable.  The maps are terrific.

For some time I have been working on a country/government timeline on the
Kalisch-Turek-Konin-Wladyslowow-Kolo-etc. region by studying maps in an effort
to have my ancestors' records historically correct.

Reading various on-line information of people's ancestors, people invariably
interchange Germany, Prussia, Posen, Poznan, Poland, Russia, and so on.  Which
makes it somewhat confusing to say the least, and historically incorrect.

I was wondering if my conclusions are correct, or if they can be further
clarified.  What I have for this region is as follows:

1688 to 1793 - Poland
1793 to 1806 - South Prussia
1807 to 1919 - Russia-Poland
1919 to 1939 - Poland
1939 to 1945 - Germany
1945 to present - Poland

Also, I understand that Germany didn't exist until 1871 and any reference to
it prior to that time is incorrect.  Whereas, it should be listed as Prussia.

Any input or corrections from you, or from anyone on this List, would be
greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Regards,

Peter Fischer