[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Powiat maps of Russian Poland

Richard Benert benovich at montanadsl.net
Wed Mar 17 08:40:44 PST 2004

Peter wrote:

 Also, I understand that Germany didn't exist until 1871 and any reference to
> it prior to that time is incorrect.  Whereas, it should be listed as Prussia.

Peter,

Jerry correctly points out that Prussia was only a part of "Germany" before
1871.  But I would like to relieve you of any hesitancy you may have developed
to avoid speaking of the German lands before 1870 as "Germany".  Of course there
was no POLITICAL entity called "Germany" before that date, but people had for
centuries been referring to the area as Germany, Germania, Deutschland,
Allemagne, etc (pick your language) without batting an eye.  Somehow the
incorrectness of referring to a political Germany before 1870 has expanded into
a blanket taboo against referring to the AREA as "Germany".  But if folks in
1700 could do it, why can't we?  We only have to be careful how we use the term.
It would not be wrong, for example, for Jerry to say his Hemminger ancestors
came from Germany.  It just wouldn't be nearly as accurate or as helpful as
saying they were from The Kingdom of Wuerttemburg.

At least that's how I see it!

Dick Benert