[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Powiat maps of Russian Poland

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Thu Mar 18 10:55:25 PST 2004

Nelson,

I am certainly not the last word on this subject, but here are some
thoughts so far as the data that we enter in our databases.  These are all
my opinions, so someone may change my opinion if they can show me the error
of my ways:

1.  If we have an original record, we should always use the name that is in
the original record SOMEWHERE in our database.  This has some confusing
implications regarding areas that have changed jurisdictions with time, but
it is better to note what is found in the original record than it is to
ignore it and have others that follow you think that you entered the wrong
data.  For instance (and I hope I am giving a good example), if you wrote
that an event occurred in Leduc, NWT, Canada (NWT=Northwest Territories),
that would be correct for the early years of of Canadian history.  It is
today, of course Leduc, Alberta, Canada.   In this example, since most
people would be confused by Leduc, NWT, Canada, I would personally enter
Leduc, Alberta, Canada as the main place, and then enter, either as a
separate note, or in parenthesis after the current place "formerly Leduc,
NWT, Canada".  Your choice on this one.  Note that modern family history
programs allow a very long name as a place name, but you will probably mess
up the automatic feature that most of these programs have of shortening the
place name in reports where there is not enough room for the entire place name.

2.  If a place is misspelled in the original record, and IF YOU ARE
ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT THERE REALLY IS NOT SUCH A PLACE AS THE MISSPELLED
PLACE, then correct the spelling in your database entry, but add a note
that says that the original record has the place misspelled and then list
the misspelled place as it is shown in the record.  Sometimes you later
find that there really is such a misspelled place, and good record keeping
on your part will help you help you sort this out later.

3.  If you enter a place, enter the complete name of the place IF YOU CAN
FIGURE OUT WHERE IT IS.  As I mentioned in an earlier email, some places,
especially Poland and Volhynia, but even places in the USA and Canada show
up many times in the same state or province.  Try to pin down the correct
location based on the places of birth or death or marriage of siblings or
the parents or children of the siblings.

4.  If you are entering a place name that is foreign to you, you will be
wise to  use some consistent identification system so that the place can be
located- a gazetteer is good for this.  It is, however, always appropriate
to list the next larger town in the vicinity of the place you are
researching if you cannot figure out how to enter the complete place name
that includes all the district and provincial designations.

Gary Warner
Gig Harbor, Pierce, Washington, USA (there, I followed my own advice!)