Coordinates for places- fomerly RE: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Powiat maps of Russian Poland

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Tue Mar 23 08:29:08 PST 2004

 Karl,

I would agree absolutely that it would be best to note only the correct
place in the database instead of all the variations, but, as you note,
sometimes that is simply not possible to do with the limited information
that we have.  As noted in my earlier email, however, I think that
somewhere in your database, even if it is only in a note, that the entry
as found in your source records needs to be entered.  That is the only
sure way to be able to later revise your "correct" location if you later
get data that says that the true location is yet somewhere else.

Concerning the extraction of data for the Parish Records Index (PRI)- or
in areas you are not very familiar with in your own personal research, we
usually do not know enough about the local area to determine which is the
"correct" location, so I am more inclined in this instance to enter the
place exactly as found in the original record.  It is usually only by
assembling a family where the children are all born in what appears to be
the same place that we gain sufficient knowledge to be able alter the
location name to the "correct" one.  As Dave Obee points out, however, be
extremely careful about combining places that are not really the same
location.  In every country, it appears, there are many places with the
same name.

Concerning the Geo Locator in Legacy, it is a good tool so far as it has
the place that you seek, but it is NOT all encompassing.  I have noticed,
for instance, that it does not yet show all the governing jurisdictions
in Poland.  Perhaps that is a glitch in the database entry.  It also does
not show every small town in the USA or Canada, but does show
interestingly enough that some towns are in several counties in the USA
(the same is even more true in Poland and Volhynia- so beware), and that
is a problem for our members to further correct as they enter their
data.  Perhaps the best feature of the Geo Locator is that it lets you
look at a map so that (if you already know where the town is) you can
correctly select the correct global coordinates.  What I consider the
BEST feature of Geo Locator is that it can spell better than most of us.
Thus, if you use it, I will not have to again contend with 23 versions of
"Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada" in the database.  I have the same dilemma
as all of the rest of you- I am exceedingly nervous in combining place
names to the "correct" one.

Gary Warner