[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Housekeeping issue - bouncing messages

Jerry Frank GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
Thu May 13 12:35:46 PDT 2004

As administrator of this list, I must deal with ALL messages that bounce
back to me.  It is important that you know how I deal with them.  Bounced
messages occur typically for one of three reasons.

1.  Glitches in the Internet system or on a receiving server will at times
cause a message to bounce back. These are easier to figure out.  I ignore
them and the problems resolve themselves in short order.

2.  If you discontinue an email address the message will bounce back to
me.  The bounced message usually indicates that the address is no longer
valid.  I usually wait a few days to ensure that this is not a system
problem.  If messages from that address continue to bounce, I will
UNSUBSCRIBE that address.  We will not try to track you down to determine
if you wish to continue your subscription at a new address.

3.  FULL  EMAIL  BOXES  is the most common reason for a message to bounce
back to me.  If this happens:
- I wait one week to see if the problem persists.
- If it does, I send a personal message to that address from a different
server to ensure that the problem is not with the system.
- If I get no response or if that message bounces back to me, I place all
mail to that address on administrative HOLD.
- Every couple of months or so, I go through the list and UNSUBSCRIBE all
addresses that remain on administrative hold.

When that last step occurs, one last automated message goes out announcing
that you have been usubscribed.  If you get such a message because you
cleared out your mailbox, you will have no other recourse than to go to
http://eclipse.sggee.org/mailman/listinfo/ger-poland-volhynia and resubscribe.

While administering this list is not a heavy chore, it does take time to
deal with issues like bouncing messages so I have no alternative but to
handle them in this way.  You can help yourself to avoid this problem by:
a)  Ensuring that you keep your server mailbox clear by picking up all
messages on a regular basis.
b)  Putting your own address on hold (at the above link) if you are going
on vacation or cannot pick up your mail for an extended period of time.

Thank you and happy ancestor hunting.

Jerry Frank - List Administrator for [Ger-Poland-Volhynia]
GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
http://www.sggee.org/listserv.html