[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Translating place names

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sat May 15 06:59:15 PDT 2004

Thanks to Allyn Brosz via Michael Miller for this link.

http://accurapid.com/journal/28names.htm#4

Although this page does not deal directly with the German / Polish /
Russian problems we encounter, it certainly typifies the confusion that can
occur.

In fact, our problems are even greater with the special diacritics and need
to translate from the significantly different Cyrillic script.  In your
genealogical search, you WILL encounter many variations in place
names.  You will need to determine whether they are referring to a new
location or if it is a different reference form to a place you have already
encountered.

I would postulate in our case that there are, in many cases, NO officially
correct forms of a place name.  While some go for centuries without change
in form or spelling regardless of language, others can go through many
iterations that we, as researchers, must be aware of.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca