[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Lutheranism

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 23 06:44:57 PST 2004

I agree with Karl that Engel's phrase is probably a generic descriptive
term that may be hard to define.  A more modern example might be the recent
U.S. election where the term "religious right" is used.  It is certainly
used to generally describe a group of voters but defining the term is
difficult.  How right is right?  How religious is religious?  Does
religious refer just to Christians or can it include Jews? just to
Evangelicals or can it include Catholics? etc.

Similarly, with Engel's phrase, how strict is strict?  How orthodox is
orthodox?  Who has the authority to define pure Lutheranism (orthodoxy)
some 300 to 400 years after Luther's death?

At the very least, Engel's description would apply to a more fundamentalist
group that is trying to hold on to roots and traditions.  Last week I
mentioned that some Lutherans tolerated the work of the Moravian Brethren
in their midst while others did not.  Those that did not tolerate them
would probably be considered stricter and more orthodox.  In the early
1800s, the king of Prussia enforced a merger between the Lutheran and
Reformed Churches.  Some Lutherans refused to go along with that
merger.  Many considered this religious oppression resulting in a major
migration to the United States.  They were referred to as Old Lutherans and
in part became the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church in the
States.  This Synod is generally considered more conservative and
fundamentalist than some of the other Lutheran Synods.  In another article
I found with a GOOGLE search, the Wisconsin Synod of the Lutheran Church is
said to hold to "strict orthodoxy" but that too is not defined well in the
article.

In addition to examples of strict living that Karl mentioned, I would add
that these people would probably hold more firmly to church traditions and
be less willing to accept change in hymns, etc.

At 02:29 PM 22/11/2004, Karl Krueger wrote:
>I wonder if he was using this term descriptively. Maybe he was referring
>to some Lutherans that lived by strict rules such as no drinking,
>partying, dancing, and spending rigorous amounts of time in different
>church/prayer activities, as if any form of pleasure was sin. From what my
>parents discussed in the past, they claimed there were Lutherans that went
>to these extents. It appears "legalism" was a tendency many of them fell
>in to, as do people from all other Christian backgrounds. I wonder what
>Luther would have thought of this as he was the one famous for starting
>the reformation claiming salvation by grace - not by works.
>
>Delores Stevens <deloresstevens at sasktel.net> wrote:
>I have been reading an article by Otto Engel that was published in the March
>1996 issue of the Wandering Volhynians volume 9, number 1. In this article
>he mentions "strict orthodox Lutheranism". What would this have looked like
>in terms of worship or every day life?
>
>Delores Maduke
>Saskatoon

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta