[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] (no subject)

Donald Miller dnmiller at whiz.to
Sat Oct 16 19:18:56 PDT 2004

Hello,

While in Zhitomir, Ukraine recently I had a researcher go to the Ministry of
Internal Affairs to check some re-settlement files for me.*  One of the names
he turned up was Samuel Ottovich Nickel, a German, born in Andrejev north of
Zhitomir, who worked as a teacher in the Pulin and Tschnerjachow districts.
He was re-settled in 1935 to Khaborovsk and lived there until 1941 when he was
re-settled again, this time to Novosibirsk.  There he worked as a chief
accountant in a factory.  What caught my eye is that his record indicated that
he was the author of the book, Die Deutsche Kolonie in Volhynia, which was
published in Kiev in 1935 and later republished in Kharkov.

Does anyone on the List know about this man and his book?  Does SGGEE library
have any record of it?

Don Miller

PS.  *In 1956 the records of re-settled Germans from the Zhitomir region were
sent from the archives of various regions in the Soviet Union to Zhitomir
where they are now housed in the Ministry of Internal Affairs.  There are some
12,000 such files filled with an enormous amount of information.  On another
matter, the dates for our next Volhynian Adventure Tour are May 16-30, 2005.
For a brochure or more information, you can contact me at dnmiller at whiz.to