[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] researching in South America

Aydodger at aol.com Aydodger at aol.com
Thu Oct 21 06:13:30 PDT 2004

Hello all,

My family research has led me to South America.  A sister of my grandfather emmigrated to Uruguay and I want to try and make a connection with her family.  However, my Spanish is only as good as what my computer-translator allows me to be. I wondered if anyone might be able to help me by reviewing my letter to see if is appropriate to send?

Along the same note, someone (who has no geneology experience) mentioned to me that because the Spanish culture is different from ours, contacting them would be done differently suggesting that the letter be notarized and that requesting personal information (ie. names, date of birth, etc.) would be offensive. But again, I have no experience/knowledge in this area and certainly do want to be respectful.  Can anyone share their thoughts about this?

Thanks so much for your advice,
Barb