[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] sugar beet connections

Guenther Boehm GHBoehm at ish.de
Fri Oct 22 01:18:52 PDT 2004

Royal Natzke schrieb:

>My question: did the Germans from Russia/Volhynia raise sugar beets in the old
>country, or did they just pick that up as entrance level employment when they
>came here? I don't recall if we saw sugar beet fields when we were in western
>Volhynia in '01. We did see them in western Pomerania in Kreis Greifenberg
>(Trieglaf - where my people came from).

Hello Royal,
the sugar beet is an old European economically useful and garden plant
and was first mentioned in the Greek literature by 420 B.C. It was
introduced as a substitute of sugar cane during the anti-napoleonic
continetal embargo led by Great Britain. In advance, the German
scientist Andreas MARGGRAF showed in 1747, that the white crystals made
of sugar beet syrup, are of the same nature like those of suger cane. In
1801, the first European sugar factory was built in Cunern, Lower
Silesia (Prussia). Napoleon tried the beet sugar in 1811 and immediately
ordered to grow sugar beets on 11,000 hectares (110 square kilometers).
Within a few years, sugar factories were built in northeastern France,
Germany, Austria, Russia and Denmark. In Russia, the production of beet
sugar was introduced by D.W. KANSHIN and promoted by Count BOBRINSKI, a
son of empress Catharina II and her lover Grigorij ORLOV, in early 19th
century. In Russia, sugar cane was not grown before and the predecessor
of beet sugar was good old honey. So it is quite sure that the Germans
in Volhynia knew and grew sugar beet because they knew and loved sugar
much more than their Russian or Ukrainian neighbours.

Guenther
of Hilden, Germany