[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Family History Library Catalog

UpstreamVistula jutta.dennerlein at upstreamvistula.org
Fri Oct 29 23:16:05 PDT 2004

Erik,

> My question is really two fold.   First, where were
> they between Torun and Lipno parishes?

Grebocin was also called Gremboczyn or Gramtschen.
You will find the LDS films by searching for Gramtschen.
Rogowek is actually Rogowo, also called Rogau or Grossrogau. It
belonged to the Gramtschen parish.

> Second, do all of  the parishes within a certain area have
> the same record holdings as the main  parish? i.e.-would
> Osiek or Chrostkowo hold the same records as  Lipno?

The 'main' parish is not necessarily the parish of the biggest town in
the area.
Each parish had a pastor and a defined area that it covered. Church
records were only kept in the parish (the place where the pastor
lived) as opposed to a Kantorat or a Filial.
Not all the parishes were founded at the same time. So you might find
records for the same area in one parish for an earlier period and in
another parish for a later period.

Osiek, later called Ossowka was a Lutheran parish since 1838. Before
that the records were kept at the Lipno parish.
Chrostkowo was a Roman-Catholic parish!

I tried to explain this parish finding game a bit on the following
webpages:
http://www.upstreamvistula.org/Parishes/Parishes.htm

Greetings
Jutta