[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Sayings and Tales

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Tue Sep 7 11:11:41 PDT 2004

That is exactly what we want to preserve as what some of you have sent in
already today.  I started about 3 years ago to collect "stories" of Life in
Volhynia that told of what it was like over there when our grandparents/parents
lived there.  This past year some requests came in for the stories out of Poland.
 Some have already come in.  And now it is to add those short sayings and
folk tales to the collection.  Keep it up.  They are wonderful to use by SGGEE in
several ways.  Right now, some will be used in the SGGEE Journal as Bill
Fife, editor, sees fit.  It has been my hope that eventually we might as an
organization have a booklet printed of these stories, sayings, folk tales, etc. for
all who would be interested in securing a copy.  That is still a future dream
for now.  But hopeful.  My intent in doing this is to be able to reach those
of us who have no idea what life was about of our ancestors since many of us
never thought to ask when older family members were around, or never even
experienced some of what they might have said or did even here in North America.  I,
for one, was like that. I never even heard the German language spoken as my
grandparents died when I was young, and my parents wanted to be like the
"Americans" and speak English.  Fortunately, it was my husband's Volhynian parents
that began to introduce me to some of their history while they were alive.  So
all this is exciting for me to hear from you.  Short comments, short stories
are just as welcome as the longer ones.

For the record however, whatever you wish to share with SGGEE we do want to
be able to use them in whatever way is best in publishing them.  So - need your
permission to allow that to be done.  For those of you who may just "publish"
your own book some day - go for it.  It was a labor of love when my husband
and I accomplished that and published in 2001.  He now is gone.  So thankful we
did this for not only ourselves but the extended family members that we found
during our research and never knew before we began.

Keep the "s" in our name of SGGEE to mean "search" and "share".  Thank you.
Virginia Less