[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Sayings and Tales

Ed S esonnenburg at porchlight.ca
Thu Sep 9 20:43:40 PDT 2004

The complete verse is

 Hoppa, hoppa Reiter                   (Huppe. huppe rider)
Wenn er fallt denn schreit er    (When he falls then cries he)
Wenn er fallt im Graben             (When he falls in the ditch)
Fressen ihm die Raben              ( Eat him the Ravens)
Faellt er in den Sumpf          (If he falls in the swamp)
Macht der Reiter PLUMPS   (The Rider will go SPLASH)

At the word splash the adult holding the child on their knee would
spread them and the child would fall between.