[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Sayings and Tales

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Fri Sep 10 09:37:19 PDT 2004

It is interesting to see the responses on this subject.  I finally went thru
my files that my husband had accumulated on an earlier discussion on another
listserv on "Words of Endearment & Frustration".  The following was his
contribution from his growing-up days with Volhynian parents.  Spellling may not be
correct but I will give it a try.

Quotes from Gary Less -
"My father always had his favorite comments and words of endearment and
frustration (mostly frustration) especially if I did something stupid or dumb as a
kid.  For example -
DuSchlmassel, Du Schlameel (or schlamiel), Du Schafkopf, Ku Keliner
Schlingel, Dumkopf.
(If anyone knows the best meaning, or correct spelling,  for these let me
know - Va.L.
Another statement by Gary is this -
"My Dad spoke both low and high German.  My spelling is a guess here but
think it means - 'When you grow up you will marry a silly, dumb or stupid wife'.
My Dad would say this at the dinner table when one of the kids would sing or
be silly.  The words were - Du wirst eine dwatcha frau kriegan, or something
like that."

Just thought this morning I would add these to peak your interest in sharing
some more!

Virginia Less