[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Sayings and Tales

John Rauchert jfrauchert at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 11 03:50:38 PDT 2004

My father passed on a few expressions that I find myself using when
frustrated even though I am not too sure what I am saying :)

Many a time we had Donner Wetter!

The one I use most commonly is something like:

Ach, du lieber schein!
Oh, my dear light?

I am not sure about the last word but it was pronounced shay-eh-n.

Also we had a little joke.

When ever someone says "Was ist los?" - What is up?

Your reply is "Alles was nicht ungeboden ist." - All that is not tied down
is.

Again I am not sure about ungeboden, I think it should be closer to unten
gebunden.

Here is my father's way of making potato pancakes:

John's Potato Pancakes

4 large potatoes
1 small yellow onion
1 large egg
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
< teaspoon pepper
vegetable oil
sour cream

Peel and coarsely grate potatoes and onion.  Stir in egg, flour, salt and
pepper.  Make into pancakes and fry in oil until golden brown (approximately
12 minutes).  Drain well and serve warm with salted sour cream.  (Hint: a
bit of lemon juice on the grated potatoes will keep them from discolouring.)

On the farm in Alberta, he also enjoyed making Borscht with Pigweed
(Amaranth) instead of Spinach.

John F. Rauchert