[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Sayings and Tales

Ed S esonnenburg at porchlight.ca
Sat Sep 11 10:48:24 PDT 2004

Schlump has a similar meaning as  Halunke.

"Der ist ein Halunke" or "Der ist ein Schlump"  is very much the same as
saying   "That guy is a jerk"

"Ach du lieber" is likely a shortform for "Ach du lieber Augustine"  a
children's song
 It very well could be shortform for "Ach du lieber Gott"  but
mostly I've heard exclaimed  "Mein Gott" which is just  "My God!"