[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Goll / Gall / Gohl and maybe even Gaul

Reiner Kerp mail at reiner-kerp.de
Fri Apr 1 02:19:44 PST 2005

"DAVID B OBEE" <daveobee at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I tried to reach this woman a year or so ago but never
> heard back from her. I suspect that she ties in with a
> Goll family that is connected to my mother's family
>through marriage.  (The name was spelled Goll in North
> America.)

GOLL seems to be another sample of the terrible variability of writing
names.

Mosst probably GOLL is the original. Even the double L usually is
spoken short, someone with this name would say he is a GOL`S. Perhaps
then with a lengthened O like in goal, because at times lengthening
vocals was thought to be aristocratic appearance (remember how Adolf
Hitler and Franz Josef Strauss spoke). In Poland variants may have been
GOLC, GOLD(S), GOLZ and whatever one has had fantasy enogh for. In
Russia these names may have changed again.
In my wifes genealogy something similar appears with the GEMM name in
the Samland.

Regards,

Reiner (Kerp)