[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] surnames with evidence of aristocracy

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 4 07:52:38 PDT 2005

The statement seems reasonable but the original article contains no
citations so it is difficult to prove.

An important distinction relative to his story is that between royalty and
nobility.  People often get the two mixed up.  There is a much better
chance of a connection to nobility than there is to royalty and, if the
story is true, it was probably a nobleman who conferred this name change on
the family.

Note however that such a change does not apply to everyone with that
surname but rather only to the family of the person who performed the
service.  In the example given, it would make sense if ALL branches of the
Teichrob family could trace their name to one specific location.  However,
if there are several different Teichrob branches living in different places
at the time of the supposed change, then the story would not be valid.

In Russian Poland, German ethnics with Polish surnames seemed, at times to
jump back and forth between the Polish and German with no relevance to the
Napoleonic era.  It is evident that some at least reverted back to the
German surname upon migration from Russian Poland to Volhynia.  However, I
don't think there is enough consistency in this practice to make it a firm
genealogical research tool.  People working back through records in these
eras simply have to be aware of the possibilities and take that into
consideration in their research.

FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca