[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] surnames ending in ski

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 13:33:36 PDT 2005

It seems even the Germans converted names of Polish roots to more Germanic endings. My German documents indicate my g-grandmother's name as Wolske but parish records of her family written in Polish indicate the name was Wolski. Since Poles change the ending of the names with sex this was Wolska in her case (ski endings for males, ska endings for females). In EWZ you can find either Wolski or Wolske being used for descendants of this line.

Because so many Germans from Prussia had names ending in ke it appears they made this modification to conform to Germanic spellings but at least in this instance it was clearly a name of Polish roots converted to German spelling. Jerry is right though that Jeske is definitely German, as is Ganske, Fenske, Friske, etc.

Jerry Frank <FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca> wrote:
I believe that the "...ske" ending is not connected as it is a Germanic
ending - Jeske, Ganske, etc. though I suppose, in some cases, especially in
North America, it may have been modified from an "...ski" ending as is the
case with a U.S. variant of my Girschewski family - Geschefske.

FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca