[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] EWZ records

Nancy Gertner nancygertner at mac.com
Fri Apr 15 21:05:37 PDT 2005

When my spouse went to Maryland for training a few months ago, I tagged
along and spent a WEEK at archives and Archives II.

I looked at EWZ and census and ship records and land records.  I also
recommend checking out the NARA website, as they have some interesting
classes and speakers, and advance registration is sometimes required.

If your family homesteaded land, you can look at the files at the
downtown archives.  I recommend looking up the file numbers online
before you go via the Bureau of Land Management records.  These paper
records contain more data than what can be found online, like the
number of animals that the family had, and the crops they raised, and
the buildings they built, and their household goods too, like the
number of beds they had.  I also looked at the land records for the
neighboring families in the township.  Because witnesses were required
to vouch for the homesteader living on their land as required, these
records give interesting insight into the relationships between the
neighbors.  The land records need to be ordered for viewing with a
particular form, and can be photocopied with permission of the staff.
Credit cards can be used to purchase a 'copy credit' card so you can
make copies "til the cows come home!"  Remembering to check alternative
surname spellings is good to keep in mind when looking for the file
numbers of these land files.  Because census and immigration (ship
arrival) records can be obtained from other sources like the LDS
microfilms, I recommend concentrating on collections that are unique to
National Archives, like EWZ and land records.

National Archives II at College Park, MD also houses the national
collection of photos (still and motion picture), so you can look at the
inventory index and decide if there's anything you want to look at.
The still photos are delivered to the viewing room and you wear white
cotton gloves to handle.  Picture maker machines are available for
items that may be copied, with staff permission.

Happy hunting!

Nancy